The HTC Inspire 4G is the first smartphone launched with Android 2.2.1 Froyo with the custom HTC Sense 2.0 skin as the user interface on AT&T. The OS was later updated to Android 2.3.3 and Sense 2.1. It is a variant of the HTC Desire HD which is sold in European markets. The Desire HD and Inspire 4G have exactly the same design and specifications except that the Inspire 4G supports AT&T’s HSPA+ 4G network.
HTC officially rolling out a system update for the HTC Inspire 4G to Android 2.3.3 and no further plans to update it to ICS Android 4.0. However there is always the custom ROM scene, and you can update HTC Inspire 4G with ICS Android 4.0.4 firmware with the help of below step by step guide.
Before you start to update your HTC Inspire 4G with ICS Android 4.0.4 firmware, backup all your important data. For text messages use the SMS Backup and Restore app and for contacts you should use Google’s built in contact sync or export all contact to memory card in VCF file which you can import after update. If you want to backup Call Log, you can use free app Call Logs Backup & Restore. Any media should be copied off the phone and onto your computer, just as a precaution.
Step by Step Guide for How To Install ICS Android 4.0.4 Firmware On HTC Inspire 4G
Here are the steps to update HTC Inspire 4G with ICS Android 4.0.4 firmware.
- Enable USB Debugging (Settings > Applications > Development > USB Debugging).
- Ensure the device is near fully charged or minimum 75% (you don’t want it to power off in the middle of installing a ROM).
- Make sure your phone is rooted – You can check with the use Root Checker app if you want to be sure.
- Download the ICS Android 4.0.4 firmware/ROM here and save the file to your computer.
- Copy downloaded firmware file to your phone’s SD card using a USB data cable.
- Disconnect your phone from the computer and remove data cable.
- Restart your phone by holding down the Volume Down button, or Turn off your phone and turn on by holding volume down button. You should enter boot loader mode. If not, try again.
- Enter Recovery Mode and Select ‘recovery’ from the list of options.
- In the recovery mode, You need to select “wipe data/factory reset” before installing the update for successful installation of ICS Android 4.0.4. Now you need to select “Install zip from sd card” > “choose zip from sd card” and then choose the ICS Android 4.0.4 Firmware Zip file which you have placed in your phone.
- As soon as the firmware updated successfully, select “Go Back”.
- “Reboot System Now”.
Your phone should now be running Ice Cream Sandwich! To check go to ‘Settings’ > ‘About Phone’ > ‘Firmware Version’ and it should say the firmware version as being 4.0.4.
Do share with us in the comments section just in case if you face any problem during the process of firmware update as we will try to resolve it at the earliest.